As a mother and wife, I am always thinking about what everyone else wants … And especially what everyone else will eat. With two children at different stages of eating, and a husband, it is not always the easiest task! Often times when my husband is out of town, it becomes all about the children’s dinner and I kind of just pick and snack on whatever is in the kitchen.
Recently I decided there had to be a quick, easy and healthy meal I can whip up for myself, and that is when I discovered zucchini noodles! I am now hooked — Turning vegetables into noodles is genius!
What is the most appealing about cooking a meal with zucchini noodles is they are versatile and extremely quick and easy to make. Even if I am making a regular pasta for the family, I can easily replace the pasta noodles with zucchini noodles for myself to keep the dish healthier.
I’m so excited to share with you guys the recipe I have been making for my zucchini noodles lately. It uses an avocado sauce that tastes rich and creamy and is so much healthier than a traditional wheat-based pasta noodle.
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! I would love to know how your dish turns out if you make it!
Zucchini Noodle Pasta with Creamy Avocado Sauce | Serves 2 people | Cook time: 15min
Recipe is gluten free, dairy free, paleo and can be made vegan
- 1 large zucchini to use in a spiralizer. I also buy zucchini noodles pre-made from the grocery store.
- 1 large, ripe avocado
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- ½ cup of fresh basil leaves
- Small handful of basil leaves for garnish
- 1 organic chicken breast, cooked and sliced
- ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup of pine nuts to garnish on top
- Wash and spiralize your zucchini using a Spiralizer, or a Julienne Peeler (or remove store-bought noodles from the package).
- Lay your zucchini noodles out on clean paper towels and gentry press to remove as much water form them as possible.
- Put the spiralized zucchini in a large bowl, sprinkle half of the salt over the zucchini and give it a good mix. Set aside.
- Meanwhile peel the avocado, remove the pit and put it in a blender or food processor. Mix it with the rest of the salt, the lemon juice, fresh basil leaves and ground pepper until it’s a smooth avocado cream. Taste it and add more salt or lemon juice to taste.
- In a medium skillet, add your zucchini noodles and olive oil and sauté over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, add your avocado sauce (mixing well) and heat for one more minute — You do not want to overcook the zucchini.
- Remove from heat and divide your zucchini pasta into two bowls. Place the chicken, remaining basil leaves and pine nuts on top.